Installing the Miitomo App on Rooted Android Devices
Today is the launch of the new Miitomo App from Nintendo. Many users using rooted Android devices or jailbroken iPhones are finding that the app crashes immediately after it runs. This article was made in hopes to help at lease some rooted Android users getting up and running.
Due to all of the software checks (SU binaries, emulator, etc.) that the Miitomo app performs when it runs, rooted users (and even many stock users!) cannot even use the app to begin with. Upon running the app, the screen shows grey for a couple of seconds and the app shuts down without warning or feedback. Using Xposed framework and a module made by XDA Forums member ChrisJosten we can get the app running properly. This method is intended for Android users with versions 4.0.3 through 4.4.x, although there are methods for using Xposed on Android 5.0 and higher (see here).
Using this method I was able to get Miitomo running on my Rooted LG G2 running the custom ROM Cloudy G2 (4.4.2). It is not guaranteed to work for everyone or anyone, but it has worked for many people so far. I take no responsibility for anything that happens to your device. As always, perform a Nandroid backup prior to this procedure. Good luck!
- Xposed Home Page
- Xposed on XDA-Developers
- Direct Link to Xposed Installer
- Forum post with Xposed Module from user ChrisJosten
- Direct Dropbox link for Module
- A helpful thread regarding the issue
- Dropbox App
- Android 4.0.3 through 4.4.x
- Perform a Nandroid backup!
- Download and install the Xposed module installer APK (link 2 or 3 above)
- Launch the Xposed Installer, go to the “Framework” section and click on “Install/Update”
- Download the module APK via the Dropbox link and install it. The module is named “MiitomoSecurituBypasser-1.0.2.apk” (links 4 or 5 above)
- Launch the Xposed Installer (again), go to the “Modules” section and enable the module by checking the checkbox
- Reboot and run the Miitomo app
Hopefully this procedure will help some people get the Miitomo app running properly. If you need help, feel free to contact me, or refer to any of the forum links above.